Today’s recipe is an absolute favourite at our restaurants. So we decided to take you to Nonna’s Kitchen and show you how our Savoury muffins are done.
We hope you’ll enjoy this recipe and try it out at home!
2 medium eggs and 1 egg for brushing, beaten
1 ½ tbsp baking powder
½ cup milk
½ cup butter, melted
2 cups grated cheddar cheese or cheese blend of your choosing
1 spring onion, chopped
2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
½ red pepper, diced
2 cups self-rising flour
½ vegetable stock cube (can use low or no sodium one)
Salt and pepper to taste (but can be left out)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases. Optionally, instead of using muffin cases you can spray your muffin tin with cooking oil.
2. Gently whisk the eggs in a large bowl and stir in the milk and melted butter.
3. Mix in the grated cheese, spring onion, baby spinach and diced pepper*.
4. Sift in the flour, so that your muffins will be nice and fluffy.
5. Add the salt, pepper (if you’re using any), baking powder and crumble in the stock cube. Mix just enough until the ingredients have combined.
6. Fill in your muffin cases and bake for 45 minutes total**. 5 minutes before they’re ready, take them out and brush them with the extra egg (beaten). Then, put them back in the oven to finish baking.
* If any of those veggies are not to your taste, supplement them for ones you like.
- If you’re using zucchini, drain them first, because they will add a lot of liquid and the muffins won’t bake.
- If you add carrots, blanche them first to soften them.
** If needed, keep them in the oven a little longer.