Today I’m going to show you how to prepare a delicious breakfast for you and your family: Braised Eggs in Leek and Za’atar.
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe!
2 sticks leek
chopped skin of preserved lemon
300ml of vegetable stock
3 tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil
2 tbsp of unsalted butter
2 sticks of leeks
1. Heat 3 tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil and 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
2. When the fat starts bubbling add 2 sticks of leeks – thoroughly rinsed and chopped.
3. Add some black pepper and stir for 3 minutes on high heat.
4. Next step is- add 1tbsp cumin, finely chopped skin of preserved lemon, rinse the skin first to remove the salt.
Preserved lemon is traditional for Mediterranean region.
See the link below how to make it yourself.
5. Add 300ml of vegetable stock, I used here 300 ml of fresh water and 1 tbsp of vegetable stock paste. Let it cook for 5 minutes until the sauce is almost evaporated
6. Fold in the spinach and stir for 20 seconds
7. Make few nests and brake the eggs in each nest
8. Crumble the cheese around each egg
9. Cover for few minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking
Sprinkle with paprika/za’atar and parsley and serve.
See za’atar info below:
I like mine with the yogurt sauce.
I hope you will enjoy this Mediterranean dish the way my family does.